Unemployment, Food Stamps, TennCare and Families First

TN Department of Labor
Go here to apply for unemployment benefits, submit weekly certifications, report a lost check, dispute a claim and look for work.
TN Department of Human Services
Go here to apply for food stamps, TennCare and Families First. Social Security Administration
Go here to apply for social security and disability insurance.
The local SSA office is located at 921 Congress Parkway N, Athens, TN, (423) 745-7488


Housing Resources

Athens Housing Authority
716 Clark St, Athens, TN – (423) 745-0341
The Athens Housing Authority provides housing opportunities based on income within the Athens City Limits. They also manage section 8 housing.
Etowah Housing Authority
400 Sunset Dr, Etowah, TN 37331
400 Hillside Ln, Athens, TN
(423) 263-2674
The Etowah Housing Authority offers housing opportunities based on income for Etowah, TN. They also manage section 8 housing.
Tennessee Housing and Development Agency
The Tennessee Housing and Development Agency is a service designed to help with housing needs across Tennessee. If you are facing homelessness or are homeless at the moment, you may qualify to receive assistance from the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-housing Program. If you need help with a home loan, section 8 housing, or rental assistance, THDA can help. If you are looking to purchase a house, THDA offers homebuyer education services and a variety of home loan options.
Guide to Avoiding Foreclosures
The Department of Housing and Urban Development’s website provides information and a library on mortgage management and refinancing, links to foreclosure avoidance counselors, and information on the HOPE for Homeowners program.
National Mortgage Assistance Center
The National Mortgage Assistance Center provides mortgage assistance and home loan modification information. This site also provides a page on consumer alerts and frequently asked questions on home loan modifications.

Organizations that help with clothing, childcare, heating costs, housing, transportation elder care, domestic violence, etc.

United Way
The United Way works with local non-profit and charitable agencies to offer services to the community.
ETHRA – East Tennessee Human Resources Agency
ETHRA operates a diverse range of programs from services for Senior Adults to Nutrition Programs for Children, from HUD housing assistance to Home Weatherization and Heating and Cooling assistance, from Employment Development and Transportation to Probation Services.
SETHRA – Southeast Tennessee Human Resource Agency Public Transportation
(423) 949-2191
SETHRA provides free and low-cost, public transportation in rural areas. They give priority to those with medical appointments and appointments with the Department of Human Services to apply for families first, food stamps, TennCare, etc. SETHRA can also assist with transportation to/from work.
Coordinated Charities Agency – Coordinated Charities works to pool all the charitable resources in McMinn County and can help you find the help you need.
1217-A S. Congress Pkwy, Athens, TN 37303 (423) 745-9625

Legal Resources

Legal Aid of East Tennessee –
Legal help for low-income, elderly and abused people.
Tennessee Alliance for Legal Services
Provides information and resources for legal advocates as well as how-to booklets.
Legal and Social Services Assistance