CURRENT OPENINGS: FRONT DESK CLERK
Applications for Front Desk Clerk positions are accepted at all times and will be considered at the next hiring period.
20-30 hours per week
Responsibilities of the position include:
- Perform searches and update patron and/or item records
- Check in, check out, reserve, and request library items in accordance with the library’s established policies and procedures
- Clean, reshelf, shelf-read, and shift physical collection as needed
- Administer new library cards in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Answer telephone calls, take messages, and notify patrons by phone when appropriate
- Use register system to collect fines due on patron accounts
- Inspect materials returned for damage and/or missing components
- Maintain the confidentiality of all patrons
- Assist in opening or closing the library as needed
- Clean any and all rooms of the library
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required
- Previous experience in customer service preferred
- Prior experience working in libraries a plus
- Strong grasp of the English language
- Ability to handle money and credit card transactions
Applications for interested applicants are available at the library or downloaded. Return applications at the library’s circulation desk or send to firstname.lastname@example.org
E.G. Fisher Public Library is governed by the McMinn County Library Board. Members of the McMinn County Library Board are appointed to serve by the Athens City Council and the McMinn County Commission. The McMinn County Library Board meets six times each year. All board meeting are open to the public . Meetings are held in the Community Room of E.G. Fisher Public Library, 1289 Ingleside Ave. Athens, TN.
The next McMinn County Library Board meeting is Monday, September 27, 2021, 6:00pm
Monday, November 22, 2021, 6:00pm
Monday, January 24, 2022, 6:00pm
Monday, March 28, 2022, 6:00pm
Monday, May 23, 2022, 6:00pm
Monday, July 25, 2022, 6:00pm
March 22, 2021 Meeting Recording
January 25, 2021 Meeting Recording: https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/DkF_4aCyYSFL60FqLeQ5APqOZm9K6hG64FtE7sakHL3buvDY2zCCl-3P_lnJo6y0.m4_o3hBcevxF-yAX
November 23, 2020 Meeting Recording: https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/cabkLElfMuZMJRXUVmVUO-mlkZZj0RHDR_enBWnZeH-kEjKGbNFVzHYxrTIBnXir.Y4WUMhsQ53zjjikg
Library Policies and ByLaws
All E.G. Fisher Public Library Policies are approved by the McMinn County Library Board.
The Library offers computers for the public to use. All computers are connected to the internet and feature Microsoft Office. We are happy to assist you as time permits. Staff is limited in the ways computer assistance can be offered. We offer one-on-one tech assistance classes upon request. Patrons can request an alcohol wipe to clean computer hardware before use.
You must present your own library card at the circulation desk. If there are no fines present on your account, you will be given an access code for a public computer. If you do have fines present we will ask you to pay a minimum of $2.00 toward the fine. If you do not have a library card you must present a valid photo ID.
If you do not have a valid photo ID or your library card has been barred due to lost items, you are still welcome to use a 15 minute public computer.
Printed black and white copies are $0.25 per sheet. Color copies are $0.50 per sheet.
Read E.G. Fisher Public Library’s Library Internet Policy before signing in for an Internet session. All patrons agree to abide by the Library’s Acceptable Internet Use Policy, which can be found in its entirety at the Reference Desk.
Boat Safety Exam
We also can administer the boating safety internet exam. You will need to purchase a Type 600 Boat Safety Exam Permit (sold at Walmart, Bass Pro Shops, etc.) and bring it and your I.D. to the library. We will get you on a computer and proctor the TWRA Boating Safety Exam. The exam is 60 questions and you must get at least 48 correct to pass. The system allows for two test sessions per day per student. If you fail the test, you can review the missed questions and try once more in a 24 hour period. If you pass the exam, Congratulations! You will get a temporary pass until your permanent one comes in the mail within 2-3 weeks.